Are you trying to find the best light therapy lamps for your dollar?
I know. This task can be confusing to say the least. But, if he long winters really take a toll on your body, a SAD light lamp is something I can’t recommend highly enough.
Through my reasearch I’ve found the 2 best SAD light therapy lamps today. I’ve given them this title because of their quality, features, popluarity and of course – The price.
The Most Important Features in a Light Therapy Lamps
1. The light lamp should be full spectrum and emit 10,000 LUX (The “gold standard” of SAD light treatment). Any less than that and you’ll have to spend more time (more than 20-30 minutes a day) in front of it.
2. The SAD lamp should filter out the possibly harmful UV rays – As much as possible.
3. The manufacturer’s reputation and experience is important, since bright light therapy lamps are not checked by the FDA.
4. The size of the lamp – Consider where and how you will want to sit in front of your lamp. Do you want to use it while you’re working on your computer? Do you want to sit on your couch and read a book? This will determine the size and structure of your lamp.
5. Bulb type – Not all SAD lamps use the same type of light bulbs. Some use fluorescent, some use incandescent and some use LEDs (which are more energy effiecient).
All 3 types can work great so you should worry about the quality of the light more than the type of it.
The Best Light Therapy Lamps (Comparison)
Day Light Classic VS Day Light Sky
These 2 light therapy lamps are the most popular SAD lamps today, and both of them have all the important features listed above. To help you choose, here’s a comparison between The Uplift Technologies Day Light Classic SAD lamp and the Day Light Sky SAD lamp:
1. Light Intensity – Both lamps emit 10000 lux for SAD treatment, and both of them has a lower intensity option, to use for reading, studying, crafts and what ever you need good lighting for.
2. Treatment Time – Both lamps require 20-30 minutes of use per day, in the morning.
3. Size – The Day Light Classic is 4 x 21 x 16 inches; 5 pounds. The Day Light Sky is 13.8 x 10.5 x 27.2 inches; 8.2 pounds.
4. Structure and Stability – Both lamps are solidly built and easy to set up, but the legs of the Day Light Classic are a little less stable than the sturdy base of the Day Light Sky.
They stay in place by tightening a twist knob which may become looser every day. If you forget to fix it the lamp can fall over (on your head or the floor).
But, there’s a hole in the back of it so you can hang it on the wall.
On the other hand, The Day Light Sky‘s base has a weighted area that makes it very stable.
Also, The Day Light Sky is surprisingly adjustable. The head arm can lock into different angles, the buttons are a practical size and even arthritic hands can use this one with no problems.
5. Quality – Both lamps have no buzzing sounds, don’t flicker and are quite easy on the eyes.
6. Smell – Both lamps heat up and about 15 minutes later make a bit of a baking plastic smell. But, it turns out that with the Day Light Sky lamp, the smell will disappear if you remove all the little rubber pieces used to secure the light bulbs during shipping.
It comes with a little screwdriver, and you have to take off the lens (cover) to get the packing materials out of there. No smell otherwise.
7. Task light – Both lamps’ light intensity can be reduced and used as wonderful task lights to reduce the strain on your eyes (a crafter’s delight!). You simply see better with these lamps and you can use them to read, study, and craft and even as a great makeup light.
You can easily see those clogged pores and little hairs to tweeze.
8. Reputation – The Day Light Sky is recommended by the Center of Environmental Therapeutics.
9. Warranty – The Day Light Sky has a 5 year warranty. The Classic lamp has a 2 year warranty.
And the Winner Is…
All in all, it seems quite clear that the Day-light Sky SAD Lamp is a bit superior to the Daylight Classic. Though both lamps will get you the same results when it comes to SAD and sleep-cycle treatment, The Day Light Sky structure, quality and features seem superior to those of the other Uplift Technologies model.
The Day Light Sky is better built and thus more stable, it has no burnt-plastic smell (if you take out the rubber protection stuff), it offers more warranty and it’s recommended by the CET.
Surprisingly, it only costs about 5$ more than the Day Light Classic lamp (on Amazon).
Finding the Best Price
The best price for both of these best light therapy lamps is almost always found on Amazon. They come with free shipping and Amazon usually offers great deals on them. Right now, for example, the Day Light Classic is 133$, (Down from 199.99$) and the Day Light Sky is 136$.
To your health and happiness,
Will you share this post? (Thank you!)
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.