Blue light therapy is a natural, safe and effective way to dramatically relieve the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (“winter blues”).
The Philips GoLITE BLU is a blue light dispensing clock that promises to do exactly that, but does it deliver? Find out in this Philips GoLITE review.
Philips goLITE Features
- Portable, rechargeable blue therapy light with Blue wave.
- Compact design
- New diffusion optics for softer, even light
- Wider treatment field for more flexibility
- Fully programmable, adjustable intensity
Philips goLITE BLU Review
Philips goLITE claims to be clinically proven to “naturally boost your mood and energy and fight winter blues in as little as 15 minutes a day. It also helps with jet lag and allows shift workers better adjust to their unusual schedules.
But, the truth is the only way to find out if it helps you, is by trying it out for yourself.
Here are some more important details to help you decide:
The Good Stuff
1. The Philips goLITE is an Official Light Therapy Product of the National Sleep Foundation. That’s reassuring.
2. Significantly reduces effects of winter blues, and that’s really the point.
3. It is smaller in size and less intense than traditional white boxes. The goLITE BLU Plus has a wider field of light than other light boxes and is uniquely angled to shine at your eyes. This means you can work, watch TV or read without having to sit directly in front of it.
4. It has a durable, solid, ‘high end’ feeling and it includes protective sleeves. The manual is easy to understand. The manufacturer expects the device to last for about 50 years if used for 30 minutes per day, every day
5. You can do at least 3-4 sessions before you have to charge the battery.
6. You can set goLITE BLU Plus to turn on at a specified time each day and for a specific duration–from 1 to 60 minutes. Or you can turn it on whenever you need energizing light therapy. It has a 2 year warranty.
The Not so Good Stuff
1. It is quite bright, so put the case down over the top to block the lights while you are setting the controls, otherwise you might accidentally turn it on a get too much light in your face!
2. It does cost a little more than other light therapy devices, but that’s probably due to the company’s good name and well known quality products. Always check on Amazon before you buy any light therapy device, because they consistently have the greatest discounts.
3. The controls for setting time of day, the timer, and the alarm are not very intuitive. Also, battery life is a little short but it’s understandable given the intensity of the light.
I use it every day for about 15 minutes while reading my book in the early morning (I wake up at sunrise) and I feel like my “summer self”…happier, more optimistic and more energized.
The Philips goLITE BLU is well designed and has loads of built-in functionality. While it is not inexpensive it may very well hold the key to eliminating SAD, winter blues and mild depression.
How to Use Philips goLITE
You have to use it every day for maximum effect and you have to use it when it’s dark outside. The goLITE is supposed to be placed about 15 degrees off-center to where your attention is—the monitor. You use one of the four brightness settings for somewhere between 15-30 minutes every day.
Warning – even if you will use it at the lowest degree, this light is still very bright. A decent LED flashlight device, for example, has about 3 LEDs. The goLITE has 60. It’s so bright you should avoid looking directly at it at all. A few second of looking at it directly won’t cause damage though.
Check out Philips goLITE on Amazon because they always have the biggest discounts.
To your health and happiness,
Will you share this post? (Thank you!)
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.