Blue light therapy is a natural, safe and effective way to relieve and even banish the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (“winter blues”). The Philips GoLITE BLU is a blue light dispensing clock that promises to do exactly that, but does it deliver? Find out in this Philips GoLITE review.
Philips goLITE BLU Features
- Portable, rechargeable blue therapy light with Blue wave.
- Compact design
- New diffusion optics for softer, even light
- Wider treatment field for more flexibility
- Fully programmable, adjustable intensity
What Does It Promise?
Philips goLITE claims to be clinically proven to “naturally boost your mood and energy and fight winter blues in as little as 15 minutes a day. It also helps with jet lag and allows shift workers better adjust to their unusual schedules
- The Philips goLITE is an Official Light Therapy Product of the National Sleep Foundation. That’s reassuring.
- Significantly reduces effects of winter blues, and that’s really the point.
- It is smaller in size and less intense than traditional white boxes. The goLITE BLU Plus has a wider field of light than other light boxes and is uniquely angled to shine at your eyes. This means you can work, watch TV or read without having to sit directly in front of it.
- It has a definite durable, solid, ‘high end’ feeling and it includes protective sleeves. The manual is easy to understand. The manufacturer expects the device to last for about 50 years if used for 30 minutes per day, every day
- You can do at least 3-4 sessions before you have to charge the battery.
- You can set goLITE BLU Plus to turn on at a specified time each day and for a specific duration–from 1 to 60 minutes. Or you can turn it on whenever you need energizing light therapy. It has a 2 year warranty.
- It is quite bright, so put the case down over the top to block the lights while you are setting the controls, otherwise you might accidentally turn it on a get too much light in your face!
- It does cost more than other “light therapy” devices, but those are mainly simple florescent bulbs which are ineffective and a waste of money. The best price right now can be found on Amazon.
- The controls for setting time of day, the timer, and the alarm are not very intuitive. Also, battery life is a little short but it’s understandable given the intensity of the light.
I’m pretty sure it works. I noticed that this little device has almost eliminated my low energy, bad mood and even mild depression general in the past few weeks. I use it every day fro about 15 minutes while reading my book in the early morning (I wake up at sunrise) and I feel like my “summer self”…happier, more optimistic and more energized.
The Philips goLITE BLU is well designed and has loads of built in functionality. While it is not inexpensive it may very well hold the key to eliminating SAD, winter blues and mild depression.
How to Use Philips goLITE
You have to use it every day for maximum effect and you have to use it when it’s dark outside. The goLITE is supposed to be placed about 15 degrees off center to where your attention is—the monitor. You use one of the four brightness settings for somewhere between 15-30 minutes every day.
Warning – even if you will use it at the lowest degree, this light is still very bright. A decent LED flashlight device, for example, has about 3 LEDs. The goLITE has 60. It’s so bright you should avoid looking directly at it at all. A few second of looking at it directly won’t cause damage though.
Check out Philips goLITE on Amazon because they always have great deals for it.
To your health and happiness,
Will you share this post? (Thank you!)
Filed in: Uncategorized