So many blue light therapy devices out there, so much confusion. How are you supposed to decide which blue light therapy device to buy? Most blue light therapy reviews won’t answer some of the most important questions:
What are the most important features to look for? How much treatment time does each device require? How many times a day? A week? Which one has the best quality and the lowest price? Are there different sizes, styles and colors? Will it WORK?
It’s not like buying a new lamp for your bedroom. It’s a little more complicated and all the above questions have to be answered BEFORE you buy your blue light therapy home device (Unless you don’t mind a huge disappointment and a huge-er waste of money).
First, How Does Blue Light Therapy for Acne Work?
Blue light therapy works by killing bacteria on the surface of the skin. And not just any bacteria, but acne-causing bacteria (P.acne). These bacteria, along with the excess sebum that acne prone skin produces, are what create acne pustules or lesions on the skin.
Blue light therapy basically takes the bacteria OUT of the equation. Many researches have found it to reduce acne by up to 80 (!!) percent. If you combine it with proper cleansing you can take charge of your acne safely and without synthetic drugs.
How to Choose the Most Cost-Effective Blue Light Therapy Device?
These are the things you have to consider before buying your new blue light:
1. Treatment time – Obviously you would want the minimum required treatment time. Some devices require 20 minutes treatment time, others require only 5 minutes. It depends on the size of the treatment area and the number of LEDs the device has.
2. Treatment Area – The bigger the area “covered” by the device – The less time it will take you to treat all the acne areas in your face or your body.
3. Warranty – What if you device suddenly stops working after 6 months? Or a year? Some companies offer 1 year warranty, others offer 2 years. Big difference.
4. FDA Approval – Is the device FDA approved? I would opt for an approved one. I would like to know that someone checked the safety of this treatment before I use it on my face.
5. Price – The different devices are priced from 80$ to 400$. Does it mean that the cheaper one is no good? NOT necessarily. It could be that the cheaper one offers blue light therapy and the more expensive one combines it with red and infrared light therapy, which speeds up skin recovery, treats acne SCARS and even reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
(More on red light therapy benefits – Right Here).
Blue Light Therapy Reviews – 3 Most Popular Devices (2013)
The best selling blue light therapy devices are all FDA approved, all have at least 1 year warranty, the treatment time is between 15 to 30 minutes and the user ratings are very high.
The last two devices (Lightstim and Omnilux) combine BOTH blue light therapy and red & infrared light therapy. Recent research has shown that combining both red and blue light produce better results for acne treatment.
The blue light kills the acne causing bacteria. The red light speeds up the healing of the skin, promotes collagen production, reduces acne scars and prevents new scars.
It’s a powerful combination of acne treatment and anti-aging. The result is a clear, glowing, plumped and wrinkle-reduced skin.
My personal choice would be the Baby quasar Red & Blue device, but it’s a little more expensive that the others. The most cost effective one is probably the Verilux Clearwave.
I have put together a table of comparison for the top devices, with all the specific features and the prices. Check it out below;
Blue Light Therapy Comparison
|Baby Quasar Blue||Blue - 400+||12 Violet|
|10 min. (once a week)||1 year||yes||32% discount on Amazon|
|Blue - 450 nm - 850 nm|
Red - 450 nm - 850 nm
|72||5 min.||2 years||yes||26% discount on Amazon|
|Blue - 415 nm|
Red - 633 nm
|90||20 min.||1 year||yes||390$ on Amazon|
|Blue - 414 nm|
Red - 660 nm
|Not published||15-30 min.||1 year||yes||28% on Amazon|
|Blue - 430 nm|
Red - 632 nm
|Not published||5 min. Blue|
5 min. red
|1 year||yes||240$ on Amazon|
I hope you found this article helpful (and time-saving)!
Will you share this post? (Thank you!)
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.